Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice!
'Tis the season of pumpkin spice everything! We’ve found a recipe that lets you play barista at home without needing fancy steaming machines and tinkered with it so it includes only the healthiest organic and non-dairy ingredients we could find. Try the recipe and feel free to customize it to suit your taste and mood. It’s a fun way to indulge in a pampering moment and you can make it for far, far less than you’d spend at the local coffee house.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Home
(Based on Faith Durand’s recipe from COOKING LESSONS FROM THE KITCHN)
Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons canned organic pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more to garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 to 2 shots espresso, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup CocoWhip (coconut whipped topping)
Pumpkin Spice Latte Directions:
- Heat the pumpkin and spices: In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the pumpkin with the pumpkin pie spice and a generous helping of black pepper for 2 minutes or until it's hot and smells cooked. Stir constantly.
- Stir in the sugar: Add the sugar and stir until the mixture looks like a bubbly, thick syrup.
- Warm the milk: Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. Warm gently over medium heat, watching carefully to make sure it doesn't boil over.
- Blend the milk: Carefully process the milk mixture with a hand blender or in a traditional blender (hold the lid down tightly with a thick wad of towels!) until frothy and blended.
- Mix the drinks: Make the espresso or coffee and divide between two mugs and add the frothed milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, or nutmeg if desired.
How did yours turn out? What tweaks made it perfect for you? Please feel free to share them with us!