Happy National Gingerbread House Day!
In many family homes, long-standing holiday traditions involve the fun of making gingerbread houses! To shake things up this year, try making these adorable miniature gingerbread houses. They rest perfectly on the edge of a mug of hot chocolate!
How to Make Miniature Gingerbread Houses:
(Based on Karen’s recipe from Honestly Yum)
Gingerbread Ingredients:♥ 3 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
♥ 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
♥ 3/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
♥ 1/4 teaspoon of salt
♥ 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
♥ 3/4 cup of corn syrup
♥ 1/2 cup of margarine
Royal Icing Ingredients:♥ 1/2 pound of powdered sugar
♥ 2 egg whites at room temperature
♥ 1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar
To Make the Gingerbread Dough:
1.Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Combine corn syrup, brown sugar and margarine in a saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until margarine is melted.
3. Stir liquid into flour mixture using your hands to mix.
4. Chill dough for half an hour.
5. Roll dough into 1/8 inch thickness onto parchment paper. Using this template cut into shapes.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees. Cool completely on a rack.
To Make the Royal Icing:
1. Sift the sugar into a bowl.
2. Place egg whites into the bowl of a mixer. Add sugar and cream of tartar to whites while mixing. When all sugar is incorporated, turn mixer on high and beat until thick and very white, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Cover the icing with a damp cloth until you use it to prevent it from drying out.
Lastly, use a piping bag with a small tip, or zip lock bag with a tiny corner snipped to pipe your icing and assemble your houses. Finish off with decorating in any way your heart desires!
These miniature gingerbread houses are made to enjoy! Use them for your holiday party or gift them to spread some holiday cheer! Happy Holidays from Ashley HomeStore!