You have no items in your shopping cart.
The holiday season gives the perfect excuse to start crafting! While putting together the ideal DIY, we not only look for options that are budget friendly, but also ones that incorporate nature and smell of the great outdoors. Here you can find a DIY green centerpiece where elements from the outside can be invited to decorate the inside of your home.
• 12” decorative plate
• 6” dripless tapered candle
• 1 wet floral foam
• Hot glue gun and glue sticks
• Various types of live branches
• Trimmings such as pinecones
• Decorations of choice (bird figurines, potpourri, ribbons, bows)
• White acrylic paint
• Artist paintbrush
• 1/2 cup Epsom salts
• Garden shears
• Floral wire
1. Make a fun trip to your backyard in order to gather various types of live elements. Branches such as spruce, cedar and pine are ideal to build the base of the centerpiece, while pinecones make the perfect trimmings! Use your garden shears to trim your branches to the desired height.
2. Time to prep your trimmings by painting the tips of your pinecones with white acrylic paint. Make sure to dip them in 1/2 cup of Epsom salts while the paint is still wet to give them a fresh snowy sparkle! Allow at least 1 hour to dry before handling.
3. Soak the floral foam in water until it is thoroughly saturated and then place on your decorative plate. Begin by inserting your tapered candle in the middle of the foam.
4. Next, insert your branches in the floral foam around the base, working upward until all foam is completely covered. You want to make it look as full and lush as possible!
5. Glue your decorations of choice to the branches with the hot glue gun. Remember to work safely with the glue gun by keeping it out of small children’s reach.
6. Carefully secure a piece of floral wire to the base of each pine cone. Leave a long enough end to twist together into a stem since this will be inserted into the formal foam.
7. Paint the tips of your branches with white acrylic paint. This gives the beautiful illusion of snowy branches.
8. Keep your centerpiece out of the direct sunlight and water every second day to extend the life of your green creation! It could last anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks with proper love and care!
This centerpiece will look great on the table for holiday dinners, making your space festive and filling it with the beautiful fragrance of the outdoors. Not to mention, it also makes a great last minute gift! Happy Holidays from Ashley HomeStore!